Updated: Oct 28, 2021
Look, I will be the first to admit I love a regular cheeseboard and vino with friends and family, however for a while there I constantly found myself fighting an uphill battle when it came to charcuterie options. How do I know what to serve on my platter? How do I make it look pretty? Why is it always so expensive to create a cheeseboard? It’s taking me too long to prepare etc. etc. the list goes on…
Adding to that, working full time meant the last thing I wanted to be doing was slaving away for 2 hours at night creating a grazing platter for the weekend! Saving for my first home also made me realise that I didn’t have all that much disposable income to be blowing the budget on five types of soft cheese and artisan crackers. I just wanted a simple fix.
So, what did I do about this little pickle I found myself in? Well, lots of google research later, a fair bit of trial and error and after many tips from friends and family - I finally managed to develop (in my opinion) the five steps to creating a charcuterie board on a budget, in under 10 minutes!
Now here I am, ready to share this information with all my fellow cheeseboard enthusiasts to hopefully save you the time, money and stress that I went through so that you can get straight to enjoying all the good stuff:
1. Keep the ingredients simple, I usually use no more than 4-5. No fancy cutting needed, just slice and dice.
2. Salami flowers for aesthetics – a beautiful feature and they honestly only take two minutes to create but they always prove to be a crowd pleaser.
3. Bulk buys where possible. Especially if you have multiple events coming up that you need to cater for or try to buy on special (you can score some impressive cheese bargains if you look at the very end of the dairy aisle in the sale section).
4. Garnish from your own garden, use your own flowers and greenery to decorate!
5. Finally - Invest in a decent quality serving board! A beautiful board with a standout feature or eye-catching design will do all the WOW-ing for you, which makes the food presentation a breeze.
Yes, that’s right it really can be THAT simple! I hope that this blog has inspired you to get creative with your next delicious charcuterie spread. After all, there really is nothing better than sharing great food with great company (at a great price)!
- Monique xx